Mounting Optics on an AR15 - How-To Video
In this video installation guide, our Ammunition Depot firearms expert Matt gives you a step by step breakdown on how to properly mount a scope on your rifle to maximize its performance!
From the initial setup to the necessary tools and hardware needed, we’ve covered all the steps to get your newly purchased rifle optic successfully installed.
Before you begin your installation, the most important thing to remember is SAFETY! Always ensure that your rifle, handgun, or firearm is unloaded and the chamber is empty with the magazine removed.
Once cleared, you're now clear to begin the installation.
Remember to go slow and to be patient throughout the process - the last thing you want to do is ruin your new scope or have to re-do the entire process.
Common Tools Needed to Mount a Rifle Scope:
- Hex Bit Tool: Perfect for increasing turning power and stability, a hex bit tool/set can be very useful for performing routine maintenance or installations on your rifle or firearms.
- Torque Wrench: Whether you're installing a scope or making fine adjustments to your firearm, a torque wrench can save you time by accurately torquing screws to spec.
- Bubble Level: Ideal when installing a scope or optic sight, a bubble level will help ensure your accessories are completely level and can eliminate the need for remounting or making adjustments after the installation is complete.
- Rubbing Alcohol or Cleaning Patches: Keeping your rifle, scope, or optic clean before mounting is critical to ensuring no dirt or debris hinders the hardware.
- Gun Vice: Vices are an absolute must when working with firearms. They keep your hands free to complete whatever work is necessary while keeping your rifle/pistol securely stable.
Much of the information throughout the video and throughout this article will apply to any modern rifle scope, AR scope, magnified optic, and most any modern rifle platform.
However, it's always best to err on the side of caution and review both your firearm and scope/optic owner's manual before starting the installation process.
Don't have a scope or optic to mount? Not to worry, at Ammunition Depot we carry a wide selection of Optics, Scopes, and Red Dots to mount onto your rifle or AR.